Thursday, October 15, 2009

spooky time

In honor of October, it's spooky game month here at The Do Blog. First up, we're going to spotlight The Path by Tale of Tales (I guess it's art game month too?). The Path is a disturbing take on the classic Little Red Riding Hood story.


Now I haven't actually played The Path yet, so this post isn't a personal recommendation of any sort. However, The Path has generated quite a lot of buzz within the gaming community, both good and bad. Check out all five episodes of the summer gaming confab over at The Brainy Gamer for instance. The game designers, critics, and scholars involved in the confab constantly used Tale of Tales' game as an example of a profound, provocative, unsettling, and new development in the games industry. Plus, how many other games that aren't generating millions of dollars get any kind of national media attention, especially from a news outlet like NPR? (article and audio link found here.)



If you want to get a taste for the potentially off-putting controls before you dive in, download the demo level here.

You can buy Tale of Tale's take on The Little Red Riding Hood for $10 at their website, steam, or direct2drive in both PC and Mac clients.

In the meantime, I have my copy ready and waiting for the next time a rainy night with nothing to do comes along. Hopefully I won't cry like a little girl the first time something unexpected happens!

0 comments:

Post a Comment